Keeping up to date with Groove
I find it very difficult to keep up to date with what’s going on in Groove, I only have 3 workspaces, but that’s three additional places to go to look for updates. Last night I mentioned to Doug that there should be a way to subscribe to changes in Groove workspaces via RSS, I decided to write a blog post to that effect! I had looked for a tool to do this a few months ago, but thought I would recheck – imagine my delight when I found the RSS Adapter for Groove, on the rapid solution exchange web site. I upgraded to v3.1 of Groove and it works a treat. The initial limitation being that it’s only for discussions. Here are the highlights:
- Comprehensive information access: reads both the Forms Customizable Discussion Tool and the standard Discussion Tool.
- Supports users with multiple Groove identities.
- Runs unobtrusively in the Quick Launch toolbar.
- Produces an OPML feed index, for importing all your Groove discussion sources into a feed reader.
- Generate the OPML page at any time.
- Produces an RSS 2.0 feed for each discussion tool in your workspaces. You can specify the port to use for your OPML and RSS requests.
- Provides usage statistics including the number of OPML and RSS requests made.
So now I just need to convince everyone to start using discussions more!
BTW, I know you can get real-time alerts of changes in Groove workspaces, but that assumes I want to break off what I’m doing every time someone posts, not my preferred working practice!!