I have invested a lot of time and effort in my work environment. I work from home and spend around 5 hours a day working in the office, and about 1 hour reading in my reading room. To break things up I also spend a lot of time out walking (listening to podcasts) and working in beach side cafes on my Tablet. So with that context here is a high level summary of everything in the office.
I guess it starts with the desk, which is about 9 ft long and solid wood, on that desk from the left to the right are as follows:
- A small bookcase, with the following on top – a paper cutter, a clock, and a laminator
- On the top shelf of bookcase are the 20 or so books that I am currently referencing or planning to read shortly
- On the bottom shelf of the bookcase are two large wicker baskets that contains all of my bits, for example cameras, security passes, card readers, CDs and DVDs etc. I like a tidy desk, but these two baskets are my dumping areas
- Next along is my Tablet, its a TC1100 that sits in A4 orientation in its docking station, with no keyboard attached. Its ready to grab at any time for example if I leave the house or go to work in my reading room or the garden. I often have an mp3 player attached to the docking stations USB port charging and ready to transfer songs to.
- Then I have a long shelf which lifts my 3 monitors about 3 inches off the desk. This sets them at exactly the right height and leaves room underneath for my headphones, keyboard and laptop.
- The left end of the shelf stands on a hollow wooden support that stores the magazines that are in my “to read” pile, the left end stores scrap paper, a mini torch and glasses cleaners, SD cards and other small stuff.
- On the far right I have my phone, pens, wired and wireless networking hubs and my printer
- Under the desk I have 3 draw storage unit, a server and my desktop PC and a large bin and storage area for boxes.
The rest of this post has more details on all of the items that can be purchased, my desktop and server are custom built, they both have a couple of gig of memory and a 2.4 or 2.8 gig processor with dual disks.
- Tablet TC1100 with docking station, with internal CD and 1G of additional memory.
- Swim MP3 player, waterproof with 256 MB of memory
- Logitech USB microphone
- IBM Thinkpad T40
- Microsoft explorer wireless keyboard and mouse
- Sennheiser USB headphones
- 3 * Neovo F-419 19” TFT displays, connected to my desktop PC
- Treo 650 SmartPhone connected to my desktop PC, with a 1GB SD card full of podcasts
- Polycom Soundpoint Pro dual-line, speakerphone with Plantronics headset, this is connected to my private and business lines. I use the headset for long conference calls and when the kids are home
- KCorp KLG-575 108Mbs long range wireless access point and 4 port hub with firewall
- Netgear DG834 ADSL modem and 4 port hub with firewall
- HP D125xi Printer/scanner with auto-feeder