Following on from my post on consumerization, which includes enterprise IT providing users with greater choice and control, I found this list of 10 ways to motivate geeks pretty interesting:
1. Geeks are curious. Let them feed their desire to learn things
2. Geeks like to be self-sustaining. Let them figure things out on their own.
3. Geeks are creative even if they don’t know it. Give them a chance.
4. Geeks need tools, good ones. Give them more than they need.
5. Private, yet collaborative. Geeks need to be left alone, but not too alone.
6. Free stuff. T-shirts, food, desktop widgets, whatever.
8. Geeks need recognition
10. Compensation – Saved this for last, but geeks gotta live too
and certainly pretty relevant to me! Check out the full post for a lot of extra detail and comment!