Habits

20140126-145739.jpg

I’m so successful with my current crop of habits that I’m becoming too inflexible. Take for example my morning walk which I manage 95% of the time, what do I do the other 5%, I’m lost. This morning it was blowing a gale & raining strongly, too bad to walk & I literally didn’t know what to do. Of course I could have gone swimming, gone shopping, done the ironing. read a book … It took me too long to realise that the spare time in the morning was an opportunity.

Armed finally with this insight I deep cleaned our bedroom a job that I’d put off for months & cleaned upstairs, did the ironing & meditated. This freed up the afternoon & guess what? The rain stopped, the clouds parted & I had a great walk. On the way back I got the same window seat at Caffe Nero that I claim as my own in the mornings & spent the late afternoon reading. To celebrate this break from routine I also treated myself to a – once a week – Cheese Cake.

Roll on more habit substitution!

Steve Richards

I'm retired from work as a business and IT strategist. now I'm travelling, hiking, cycling, swimming, reading, gardening, learning, writing this blog and generally enjoying good times with friends and family

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *