Vista is really slick
Fortunately a kindly partner agreed to buy me a new desktop for some development work I am doing with them so I decided to get a machine that’s suitable for Vista. last friday my HP XW4400 arrived with a NVIDIA Quadro 4 head graphics card, 4GB of memory and a couple of 250GB drives. Although none of the components is leading edge it really runs Vista very well.
Here are a few of the things hat have immediatly impressed me:
- The install experience was superb, I had no problems with any drivers, everything was either on the DVD or downloaded straight from Windows Update including my HP D125 print/scan/copier. The machine has been running for a week without any stability issues at all.
- Multiple monitors is working well with great window image integrity no breakup issues, and very smooth animation and full window content motion
- The aero effects are not too distracting, and might actually be useful
- The integrated search is superb. I have changed the default to do filename/property only search across both disks. which is now lightning fast. I fo und the file content search returned too many hits too be useful and of course it was slower. I don’t really find full file content search to be that useful in general they all return too many hits and never the right ones. I have tried Yahoo, Google, X1 and MSN desktop search.
- I love the new explorer, the bread crumbs, sort, filter grouping is great and I like the fact that I can type straight into the search box, because I have file name only search on and its instant I can trim the folder down to a handful of files in no time
- Once you get the hang of the advanced search syntax it’s very powerful
- I really like the way I can press the windows key and just start typing no matter what window I am in. And I can use the Windows Key and the instant search field to launch Active Words!
- I am finding sidebar useful. It’s displayed on my left monitor and shows a clock, calendar, pictures of the family, a performance counter (memory and both core of the CPU), and 3 application launchers (all the same one but launched 3 times by renaming the file). I might drop the launchers soon because launching with the windows key is faster than the mouse most of the time.
- Application compatibility is pretty good, much better than 2003 server. However Ultramon is not perfect, but it’s still useful and a beta with Vista support is expected soon.
I have a lot of testing and playing still to do – I have been away on holiday all week – but its looking good so far. I think I am going to enjoy the next few weeks!