Allotment Diary–Thursday 01 September 2016
All of the hot and cold frames have been finished now, Debbie is putting the last of the polythene on tonight. That said I’ve found I have enough wood to make one more cold frame, so I’ve decided to make it on the existing butternut squash bed as that is going to be cleared next week.
My two compost bins are still motoring along at 60 degrees, they will be turned when they drop down to 55 degrees.
The grass is growing really well, it was only planted a week ago!
I pulled up the last of the mange tout after picking a crop for tonight’s dinner, we will be cooking them, but I actually prefer to eat them, only an hour old, in my salad or fresh picked as an allotment snack. I’ve had to pick them because of powdery mildew.
I also made up a dozen venting supports for the cold frames, made from offcuts from St Annes Timber.