Microsoft has started to talk up Longhorn again, so they must be getting more confident as we move towards the release of the beta. Here are some of the main articles and interviews, and my extracts and observations. My overall observation is that these articles show a very feature driven view of Longhorn. Not at all the experience driven vision that was presented at the 2003 PDC. Hopefully this is just because Microsoft are only talking about specific features they feel confident to discuss right now. As the whole Longhorn wave of Operating System, Office tools and third party applications begin to be talked about we will see a real step forward in the user experience. However I don’t think we will really see the vision until we see the client and server vision coming together and by that I mean.
- Longhorn Client and Longhorn Server
- Office Client and Office Server
- WinFS Client and WinFS server and a WinFS integrated SharePoint Server
- Longhorn Client Security integrated with the federated and peer group security features we see glimerings of with ADFS and Groove
- Office Communicator and Live Communications Server extended with Groove like peer group collaboration
- Groove like capabilities built into …