Which Office Suite? Is shaping up to be a fascinating decision making process. I am not ready to expose all of my thinking on this topic but it goes something like this:
- Some people think its easy, MS Office alternatives are cheaper and most people don’t use the bells and whistles in Office so people will migrate provided the alternatives meet peoples core needs.
- I think its more complex than this and as a minimum the costs of migration, lost productivity, and compatibility and rework need to be factored in
- Intertia is a big one in Microsofts favour, for a business that has SW Assurance or an EA, the decision is deferred probably for at least 2-3 years after their EA expires and probably longer if they do a lot of data interchange. That probably means 4-5 years from now!
- But this is the trivial stuff. Sure direct and indirect cost comparison is important but I want to consider:
- How do people really use Office and is it really true that people only use a small amount of the functionality, and if they do, do they all use a different small amount?
- I also want to consider …