iForum – Five Simple Predictions
Five simple predictions from Citrix with my comments
- Virtualization will be assumed, the hypervisor will just melt into the hardware, the focus will switch from cost reduction to flexibility and agility
- Applications will be delivered and not installed, not so sure about this one, I think its true for a class of applications, but if you follow the citrix analogy of TV delivery, whilst its true there’s a lot of delivery going on its complemented by lots of “installed” DVD’s, YouTube video’s and cached TV on PVR’s. I think when we say installed, we are mixing up longevity and integration with difficult to install and deinstall
- App experts will rule the world, i’m not so sure about this one either – often the app experts are the end users, so if this means the end users will rule the world Citrix might be right
- Consumerization will reshape IT, and for this reason I think we will still see things “installed” even if installation only means persistently cached.
- The world wide computer is real, IDC believes that within 4 years 80% of data needed to do work will be outside the firewall