Working Through A Flare

2015-12-11 15.55.31-1

I’ve had over a hundred flares now and one thing I know for sure is that it’s important to keep going, it’s easy to feel sorry for myself and watch TV all day, but they pass quicker if I keep on moving.  It’s also important to pace myself though, to be kind to myself, to cut some corners and relax.  So that’s how I designed my day.

The first thing I did when I woke up at 6:30 was switch off my alarm and go straight back to bed.  I surfaced again at about 8:30 feeling better for those extra hours.  I knew it would be difficult to get a window seat at Caffe Nero, but I decided it was worth the chance and so I set off intending to go to the Beach Terrace Cafe, but walking there via the square, just in case.  Luckily Anne was just packing up and vacating her window seat as I walked past, so we traded places and I settled in almost as normal but two hours later than usual. 

My late start meant that when I left Nero’s I only had time for a quick shop before heading home, because I had an appointment at the hospital at 13:00 and had to strip the bedding and wash it and set it drying before I left.  In the end I had three loads of washing to get done today and lots of washing up, but Debbie made dinner for me, which was a nice treat.

I walked to the hospital and my visit was quick and painless.  The results were, as expected, negative as the standard substances they test for in an allergy patch test don’t fit my symptoms at all, it seems such a wasteful process to go through, but then that’s the NHS.  I was only there for 15 minutes and during that time Mum rang and I got to chat to her for a few minutes.  When I left the sun was out so I decided to walk to Fairhaven Lake and back along the beach.  It was a long hard walk into the wind and I was very weary by the time I got back.

My next job was to test the little travel router that I’ve bought for Steph’s Christmas present and I’m very impressed, it seems absolutely perfect for her needs and works very well.  As I was boxing it up I noticed that a lovely sunset was in the making so I packed up my swimming gear and walked to the health club along the sea-front getting some excellent pictures.  The pool had a few people in it but I still managed 20 painful lengths and then got to enjoy the Jacuzzi, steam and sauna – that bit of luxury is well deserved in a flare.

While I was getting ready after my swim, Tessa rang to say she was also at the Dalmeney helping them setup for a party, she was also tempted to go for a swim after she finished.  I popped into Sainsbury’s on the way home and just had time to sort out the bedding before Debbie called to say that dinner was ready.

I think it’s going to be a relaxing TV night, probably Bones and then I get to watch River Cottage Australia after my bath – I’m loving this show!

Steve Richards

I'm retired from work as a business and IT strategist. now I'm travelling, hiking, cycling, swimming, reading, gardening, learning, writing this blog and generally enjoying good times with friends and family

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: