Allotment Diary–Sunday 26 June 2016
Spent most of today and all of yesterday’s plot time working on the site, mostly strimming and mowing the green paths, the grass was long so I didn’t want to leave it on the ground, which meant a lot of compost needed to be made to use up all of the cuttings. I’m impatient, so I always like to create hot compost heaps, which meant lots of barrow loads of horse manure to mix in with all the grass. I’m pleased to say that yesterday’s pile is already at 40 degrees.
In the spirit of tidying I then swept up all of the first drop apples from my temporary beds.
Then I took a last crop of oriental lettuce off my nursery bed and replanted it with a row of chicory.
This bed was intended as a nursery space for brassica’s, but I’ve been adding more salads to it over the last few weeks.
Two of my cucumbers have been devastated by mildew, so I’ve pulled them up and binned the remains.
Finally I pulled up one of the rows of French beans, this is the second time I’ve pulled this row, I’m not sure whet’s happening with them, but they aren’t thriving, I’ve put peas in their place. The only French beans that have thrived were grown in puts and are now inter-planted with my runner beans.